Monday, September 12, 2011

A Little Clarification

I realized after posting the first couple of things that I alluded to my research interest without actually stating it. I am interested in the redevelopment of leftover space in the urban context. It seems to me that traditional solutions tend to be too stagnant or concrete (no pun intended) and, therefore, lack the ability to remain relevant in the long term. I am interested in how a flexible approach to designing these spaces can better engage the community that they are placed in and remain active, successful spaces for the long term. Specifically, I am exploring the potential for utilizing Social Capital and Temporary Urbanism as two organizing concepts in my research of this problem. I am curious as to whether using the dual concepts of Social Capital and Temporary Urbanism in the context of leftover urban space can revolutionize the approach Landscape Architects and designers in general approach urban design.

An example of a Temporary Urbanism initiative:

No comments:

Post a Comment