Saturday, September 4, 2010

Breakfast Optimist Club Muncie Tri Race Report

Great race this morning! Everything felt like it came together.... finally! I have felt like I was right on the edge of a breakthrough for soooo long, it's about time I finally did it. Race morning was super chilly, with temperatures in the mid 50s and a pretty stiff 15-18mph wind. Getting in the water actually felt great because it was so much warmer than the air. This was my first race in the elite wave so it was really nice to get out onto the swim course ahead of the hordes of people. Unfortunately, the swim is 2 laps of a 750 meter course so the second time around it was a little bit harder to find clear water. It slowed me down a little bit but I still managed a sub 18 minute swim after posting a 8 minute first lap. The bike was windy and COLD! Being that wet and riding into a headwind when the air temperature is only the 50s... man! But even so I put together a pretty solid split averaging a little over 22mph. I came off the bike in 5th place and then things really fell into place. Thanks to a 37 minute 10k i managed to run myself into 3rd place and my first appearance on a podium with an overall time of 2:08 (a solid PR). And to do it in my first go at racing with the elites was pretty sweet, and i got some money to boot! My only complaint about the whole day is this jerkoff that was drafting on just about the whole bike leg... number 371, i saw you! He came off the bike about a minute ahead of me but I ran him down in no time so at least he didn't beat me... that would have really pissed me off, but i still feel bad for the guy that drug him around the course for 40km and the guy didn't even get a time penalty at all! let alone get disqualified which is what he deserved. Where was the USAT official?!! (Rumor has it he was sitting in his car trying to stay warm... way to go) Anyway, feel really great about the whole race and now am super psyched for the last race of the year at Nationals in 3 weeks... this should be a good one!

1 comment:

  1. That's really awesome man. Congratulations. You're like the phenom new recruit about to go pro in the Triathlon world. Anyway, just wanted to say it's awesome how good you did. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete