Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mid-Season Update

Now that it is the beginning of July and I have done 4 races up to this point out of the 8 or 9 that I have planned I figured now would be as good a time as any to reflect on how successful my season has been up to this point and what my expectations are moving forward. The first half of the season would have to be mostly defined as an exercise in patience and the ability to adapt. The weather has not been all that cooperative with two races already being altered due to heavy rain. Even so, my results have been pretty solid. I have already accomplished a major goal which is to qualify for Age Group Nationals for the third year in a row and actually go to the race this year in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I'm really excited to have a big race like that to end the season in late September and it will also be a solid opportunity for me to gauge how I stack up against some of the best age group athletes in the country. My swim results haven't been all that great through the first 4 races even though I PR'd at the Topeka Tinman Tri a couple of weeks ago. I'm still optomistic, though, because I have been feeling super strong in the pool lately and I feel like my technique, form and fitness are finally coming together in a way that can result in some much more competitive swim splits. The frustrating part is I probably won't be racing for over a month because the race I was planning on entering next weekend was full when I tried to register the other night, I guess that's what I get for waiting so long. I'm also going on vacation with the fam later in July, which will be a nice break from the routine, but which also means no chance to race until the beginning of August. In reality, I could probably use the extended break from racing, to give my mind and body some rest and to put in a really solid block of training, but it's hard to swallow when it feels like you're wasting some really good fitness. Once again time will tell, and if nothing else this will just make me super pumped up when I finally do get to get back on the starting line at the Muncie August Triathlon on August 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment