Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bike Source Triathlon Race Report

This morning's race was a bit of an adventure. Thanks to a week full of crummy weather the water quality was not good enough to allow for a swim leg so the race was changed to a duathlon. I was pretty disappointed by this because I was really looking forward to getting a good indication of the state of my swim fitness. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until next weekend's Kansas City Triathlon. As far as the actual race is concerned, it went pretty well. I felt pretty strong on both runs and on the bike, even though the bike course was really slippery which caused me to lose some time. I have never seen so many people pulled over on the side of the course fixing flat tires in my whole life. There must have been at least a dozen if not more, which only added to my sense of caution when it came to navigating the course. I ended up winning my age group and finishing in 9th overall. A top ten finish at my first race of the year is pretty good especially considering the state of my training in the weeks leading up to the race. This gives me some confidence and I'm really looking forward to getting a good week of training in before next weekend's race. The competition will be a lot higher so hopefully I can bring something more resembling my A game, plus the weather looks to be worlds better (80's and sunny!) so one can only hope.... Here are a few action shots from the race:
trying to stay warm before the race...

trying to push it on the bike without crashing out, got a little squirrely a few times...

putting in what little kick I have into the finish. thanks to my mom for the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment